Posts for tag: restorative dentistry
Do you have gaps in your smile you wish you could simply snap your fingers and close? If so, you could benefit from dental implants, which permanently replace your missing teeth and provide a natural appearance. How can dental implants help you? Find out more about these dental restorations and how they work with Dr. Kathryn Bachinski and Dr. Christine Petrilla at Hidden Lakes Dental Care in Bolingbrook, IL.
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is an option to replace a missing tooth, several missing teeth, or even a whole row of teeth. Dental implants stand apart from other tooth replacement options because they also replace the tooth’s root. The implant itself has to main parts: the fixture, which is implanted into the jawbone underneath the missing tooth, and the prosthetic, which fits over the fixture to replace the tooth. An abutment holds the two main pieces together.
Am I a candidate for dental implants?
A good candidate for this procedure has a committed at-home oral care routine. Additionally, patients should be in good dental health with no teeth decay or gum disease. A missing tooth can cause a process called bone atrophy, which causes the breakdown and degradation of the bone underneath the missing tooth due to lack of stimulation. A good candidate should have an adequate amount of bone left in their implant site to securely support the implant.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants look and feel like your natural teeth. Unlike other tooth replacement options, a single tooth and multiple tooth replacement, or even implant-supported dentures remain permanently in the mouth. This allows you to eat the foods you love, care for your teeth normally, and smile without worrying about your restorations coming loose or falling out.
Dental Implants in Bolingbrook, IL
If you think dental implants may be for you, consulting with your dentist is the best way to confirm that this procedure is best for your smile. In some cases, other tooth replacement options may be better suited to your smile. However, implants can benefit many patients in many different situations.
For more information on dental implants, please contact Dr. Bachinski and Dr. Petrilla at Hidden Lakes Dental Care in Bolingbrook, IL. Call (630) 759-0077 to schedule your appointment with your dentist today!
Interested in dentures?
Dr. Kathryn Bachinski and Dr. Christine Petrilla provide their patients with dentures in their Bolingbrook, IL, office.
Types of Full Dentures
There are several types of dentures your dentists can provide you with when you come into their office. When you visit your doctor, you will also get a thorough examination and then have measurements taken so that custom-made dentures can be made for you.
Types of Full Dentures:
- Immediate Dentures: They are temporary dentures that help a person transition into successful denture wearing.
- Conventional Full Dentures: These are custom-made permanent dentures that look like natural teeth.
- Overdentures: These dentures are anchored to dental implants and/or to whatever natural teeth are still left.
Types of Partial Dentures:
- Transitional Partial Dentures: These temporary dentures are made of plastic that help eliminate space and gaps between teeth.
- Removable Partial Dentures: These are metal-based removable partial dentures that can be taken out and cleaned.
Advantages of Dentures:
- Dentures prevent the natural shrinkage of gums
- They are cost-effective, less expensive than implants or fixed bridgework
- They create stability for lower an/or upper jaws
- Dentures restore chewing and bite function
- They improve your smile and the aesthetic appeal of your teeth
Taking Care of Dentures:
It's important to know how best to take care of your dentures so that they can last longer:
- Rinse dentures to get rid of food particles.
- Clean your cheeks, the roof of your mouth, gums, and tongue while brushing your teeth.
- Use a soft-bristled tooth brush and a non-invasive cleanser to clean your dentures.
- Completely immerse your dentures in water to prevent them from becoming misshaped.
Need a consultation?
For more information about dentures at your Bolingbrook, IL, dentists' office, call (630) 759-0077. It's time you take care of your dental health and improve your smile!
How crowns and bridgework can improve your smile.
Dental crowns and bridges are a dental restorative treatment to fix teeth that are badly decayed or damaged, or to replace missing teeth with a permanent, fixed solution. They are made from a variety of materials which can be color-matched to blend with your existing teeth. Dental crowns and bridges can complete your smile. But don’t see just anyone. You deserve the best like your dentists at Hidden Lakes Dental Care in Bolingbrook, IL.
Dental crowns are a strong, protective cap placed over the entire visible part of your tooth. Dental crowns are often placed over weakened teeth with root canals to keep the teeth from fracturing. The goal of dental crowns is to strengthen your tooth. In contrast, large fillings can actually weaken your tooth and make it more prone to fracture. Dental crowns also provide a more cosmetically beautiful option than a bulky metal filling.
Your Bolingbrook dentists at Hidden Lakes Dental Care want you to know you have several materials to choose from for your crown. You should consider:
- Gold, which is the strongest material, usually reserved for back teeth
- Porcelain fused to metal, which is both strong and beautiful and can be placed in any location in the mouth
- Full porcelain, which is the most cosmetically beautiful, usually placed over front teeth or teeth that show when you smile
Dental bridges are designed to replace missing teeth. The teeth immediately before and after the missing teeth support the bridge and are called the abutment teeth. They will “anchor” the bridge in place. The teeth within the bridge are prosthetic crowns, called pontics. The bridge and abutment teeth can be color-matched to your existing teeth, providing a seamless, virtually indistinguishable addition to your smile.
Dental crowns and bridges are the perfect choice to restore your smile and give you full chewing ability once again. If you are thinking about dental crowns or bridgework, stop in and see the best, your dentists at Hidden Lakes Dental Care in Bolingbrook, IL. They can help you discover the magic of dental crowns and bridgework, so call today!