Caring for Your Dentures
Do you wear dentures? If so, you know how they help you eat and look your best. At Hidden Lakes Dental Care in Bolingbrook, IL, our professional team includes Dr. Kathryn Bachinski and Dr. Christine Petrilla. They want you to get the most from your dentures by caring for them properly every day.
Stains, bacteria, structural problems
Whether you wear a partial denture, full dentures, or implant-supported dentures, you must take care of your smile. Without a regular oral hygiene routine, you can suffer from a variety of dental and gingival problems. Additionally, the appearance and function of your artificial teeth can suffer. Improper denture handling and cleaning can cause:
- Warping and poor fit
- Areas of oral irritation and infection (thrush)
- Accumulation of harmful bacteria in the mouth and on the denture
- Bad breath
- Peri-implantitis, a gum and bone infection which occurs in dental implant patients
- Cracked and chipped teeth
- Slurred speech
- Difficulties with biting and chewing (which can lead to digestive problems)
What denture care involves
Here's how to do it:
- Rinse your denture with clear water every time you eat to remove food particles and keep your breath fresh.
- Brush or soak your dentures with a quality denture paste or cleaner, such as Polident.
- Take out your dentures at night, and store them in water to avoid warping. This also allows your mouth to rest.
- Avoid all tobacco products as they stain dentures, cause bad breath and lead to serious health problems such as periodontal disease and oral cancer.
- Handle your dentures with care. When you brush them, line the sink with a towel in case you drop them.
- Get six-month check-ups and cleanings with Dr. Bachinski or Dr. Petrilla in their Bolingbrook office. They will check the condition and fit of your denture.
- Report any problems with your denture right away. Do not try to repair a chip or cracked yourself or even adjust a crooked clasp.
- Avoid hot water, bleach, and stiff toothbrushes, says Healthline. These items do a lot of damage to the finish and fit of your dentures.
Enjoy a great smile
You'll look good, feel great and extend the life of your dentures when you spend a bit of time in their daily care. For more help in developing your best oral hygiene habits, please contact Dr. Bachinski or Dr. Petrilla at Hidden Lakes Dental Care in Bolingbrook. We love seeing all our patients happy and smiling. Phone us at (630) 759-0077.